brought to you by Dean and Allyson Wood
for your researching benefit.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"Hoosick" 12 from Rensselaer County pg 555

Hoosick - was formed as a district, March 24, 1772, and as a town, March 7, 1788.  It lies in the N.E. corner of the county.  Its surface consists of the narrow valley of Hoosick River, and the wild, rocky regions of the Taghkanick and Petersburgh Mts., rising respectively on the E. and W.  The two highest peaks are Fondas Hill in the S. E. and Potters Hill in the S.W. each about 900 feet above tide.  The valleys are very narrow, and are bordered by steep hillsides.  A belt of dark slate, which is quarried for roofing, extends along the E. bank of the river.   East of the river, the rocks consist of a slaty shale and limestone, the latter furnishing lime.  The principal streams are Hoosick and Walloonsac Rivers, Punch Kil, White Creek, and Shaw Brook.  The soil among the mountains is hard and sterile, but in the valleys it is principally clay, mixed with disintegrated slate.  In the S. E. corner are 3 springs, from which issue nitrogen gas.  Flax is very extensively cultivated.  Considerable attention is also paid to manufactures.

Hoosick Falls, (p.v.) was incorp. April 14, 1827.  Pop 1200.  It contains Ball's Seminary, 2 foundries, 2 cotton factories, 2 reaping and mowing machine factories, and 1 establishment for the manufacturer of machinery for cotton and woolen factories.

North Hoosick (p.v.) contains 175 inhabitants, and Buskirks Bridge (p.v.) 125;  Hoosick Corners (Hoosick (p. o.) 10, and Potter Hill (p.o) 7.  This town was included in the Hoosick Patent, granted June 3, 1688, Hoosick Patent by several Dutch families.  A Dutch church was founded, and known as the "Tyoshoke Church," at San Coick, near the N. border of the town.  The settlement at Hoosick was entirely broken up by a party of French and Indians on the 28th of Aug 1754.  Two persons were killed and the houses, barns and crops were destroyed.  The next day the settlement of San Coick, S. of Hoosick, was also destoryed.  The battle of Bennington was fought in this town, Aug. 16, 1777.  The census reports 6 churches in town.

Tidbits from "History of the Towns of Rensselaer County"

Page 117:
... When the declaration of Independence was received...
Much deprivation and suffering were in every part of the county.  Every able-bodied man was serving his country, either at home or abroad.  The lands were neglected, families left in want, but all was with a willing heart for independence.  The women did not withhold; they applied their hands to the tilling of the lands, etc., to keep a starving family alive, and a famishing soldier.

THE NAMES OF THE FIRST SETTLERS
Godfrey Brimmer is accorded the honor of being the first settler located on the territory now embraced within the boundaries of the town of Berlin.  He is said to have made his home in the northern part of this portion of the manor of Rensselaerwyck as early as the year 1765.  Reuben Bonesteel came shortly afterwards.  In 1769 Peter Simmons, Jacob O. Cropsey and Joseph Green were numbered among the persons occupying farms in this part of the county.  Col. Caleb Bentley took to farming in the northern and Thomas Sweet  in the southern part about this time.  Paul Braman, James and Daniel Dennison, Nathaniel Niles, Peleg Thomas and Joshua Whitford were also early settlers.

Nelson Hull in his reminiscensces thus refers to the tide of emigration in this vicinity:

After the revolution new settlers began to come in and enlarge the boundaries of cultivation.  MEchanical arts began to increase.  A saw miss was built near the year 1780 by Amos Sweet, in the hollow east of the Christian chapel.  A blacksmith shop was opened by Thomas Sweet, on the east side of the road, a short distance north of Sweet's Corners.  This was much earlier than the above date.

The early inhabitants of the country were generally quite healthy and athletic, but a doctor was fit to settle here, whether for weal or woe, near the year 1775 - Dr. John Forbes - at Sweet's Corners.

The first frame house in the present limits of the town of Berlin was built by Daniel Hull, near the close of the revolution, on the same ground where now resides Daniel J. Hull.

In 1813 an epidemic made its appearance in the valley of the Hoosick and swept through the country like a tornado.  *** There was little or no exception as to age; the young and the athletic fell before the destroyer.  Mourning was in almost every house; but few families escaped.

Amos married to Mercy Carpenter

AMOS SWEET - son of Amos Sweet and Elizabeth Straight
Birth:  5 Mar 1766 (Headstone) of Hoosick, Albany, New York
Marriage:
Death:  10 May 1838 (Headstone)

Headstone is located at Capel Corner's Cemetery in Dunham, Quebec, Canada

MERCY CARPENTER
Birth:  1768
Death:  14 Nov 1826 in Dunham, Quebec, Canada

Their ?GRANDSON? Amos Sweet died in Pontiac, Michigan
Born:  1822
Died:  Sep 1847
possibly his headstone states:  b. 13 Sep 1823  d. 13 Sep 1846
I have in my notes that it may be Amos 4, of Amos 3, of Amos Jr. and Mercy

Another Amos in Sweet Cemetery Brome Couny, Quebec:
AMOS b. 8 Dec 1784 - d. 2 Jan 1862

Source:  FIND A GRAVE
Also shows that he is the son of Amos Sweet and Elizabeth Straight.

CHILDREN:  marked in blue if proven parentage
Benjamin: abt 1788- bef 1863
Stephen Van Renselleur:  abt 1792 - aft 1863
Amos Sweet: 19 Aug 1797 - 29 Oct 1872 (buried in CC, Dunham, Quebec)
     Sarah Grace Sweet falls in here 13 Jan 1799
Lydia: 30 Jul 1802 - 23 Oct 1885
Joseph Carpenter: Apr 1805 - 29 Dec 1887 (buried in West Berlin, St. Clair, Michigan)
Mercy:  Oct 1808 - 3 Sep 1890 
Hannah:  abt 1810 - bef 1863
Kylar:  abt 1812 - 29 Oct 1862  (d in Brooklyn, Kings, NY)

Crystal Sweet Williams posted on genforum 10 Aug 2001:

Children of Amos Sweet and Mercy Carpenter include:
Benjamin - b. abt 1788
Hannah
Steven VanRensselaer b. abt 1792
Phoebeb. abt 1793
Amos b. 19 Aug 1797 - d. 29 Oct 1872
Elizabeth (Betsey) b. abt 1827
Temperance b. 1 Jan 1800
Noah b 9 Sep 1802
Joseph Carpenter b. 9 Apr 1805
Mercy b. Oct 1808 or 09
Kylar b. 1817 or 1818


TIMELINE:
1766:   Amos Sweet born
1768:  Mercy Carpenter born
1788?:  son, Benjamin, born
1790:   US Census in Stephentown, Rensselaer, NY
1792?:  son, Stephen Van Renselleur, born
1797:  son, Amos, born
1802:  daughter, Lydia, born
1805:  son, Joseph Carpenter, born
1808:  daughter, Mercy, born
1810?: daughter, Hannah, born
1812:  son, Kylar?, born

1825:  Dunham, Quebec
1826:  Mercy died 14 Nov in Dunham, Quebec
1838:  Amos died 10 May in Dunham, Quebec
1847:  Relative Amos died in Sep aged 25